Florence Nightingale Day 2024
Free In-Person Event | Limited Space | Registration Required
Registration is available on a first-come, first-served basis to the first 30 registrants.
This event is open to high school students in grades 10-12 in the Toronto area. The Day will comprise faculty-organized hands-on activities, games, and panels of professional speakers, followed by networking and lunch.
CANSSI Ontario and the University of Toronto Department of Statistical Sciences are pleased to host our second annual celebration of Florence Nightingale Day on March 2, 2024 (10 am-2 pm).
The event aims to promote gender diversity in statistics and data science by encouraging, inspiring, and empowering people of genders currently underrepresented in these fields.
Florence Nightingale, the day’s namesake, was not only the founder of modern nursing but also a pioneer in data visualization. She effectively used data in an organized way to fight for better care for wounded soldiers and public health improvements in the 1850s. You can read more about Florence Nightingale and her work here.
The event celebrates the contributions to statistical sciences made by Nightingale and other women and promotes statistics, the science of data. Women and those from underrepresented groups in these fields are encouraged to participate. Students can discover career opportunities in statistics and data science, participate in fun data-related activities, and meet academic and industry mentors.
- Rohan Alexander, Assistant Professor, Department of Statistical Sciences and Faculty of Information, University of Toronto
- Esther Berzunza, Program Manager, CANSSI Ontario
- Samantha-Jo Caetano, Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream, Department of Statistical Sciences, University of Toronto
- Megan Whitehead, Assistant Manager, Employer Relations & Career Development, Department of Statistical Sciences, University of Toronto
- Jessie Yeung, Sessional Lecturer, Department of Statistical Sciences, University of Toronto
Saturday, March 2, 2024
- 9:30 - 10:00 am
- Arrival and Check-in
- High School Students
- 10:00 - 10:10 am
- Introductions and Welcoming Remarks
- Jessie Yeung
- 10:10 - 11:45 am
- Data Science Activities
- DoSS Faculty and Others
- 11:45 am - 12:30 pm
- 12:30 - 1:45 pm
- Speed Rounds
- 1:45 pm - 2:00 pm
- 2:00 pm -